Name: M.G.R. Vogelaar
Function: Head of the computer group at the Kapteyn Astonomical Institute
Personal information & address: RuG Staff pages
The Kapteyn Astronomical Institute installs Scientific Linux 7/8 on their workstations.
GIPSY and PythonI'm currently the only maintainer of The Groningen Image Processing SYstem, GIPSY.
- GIPSY home page and search facility
- The Evolution of GIPSY, or the Survival of an Image Processing System (ADASS X, 2001)
- Application INSPECTOR and the TILTED RING MODEL (PDF)
Kapteyn Package for Python 3The Kapteyn Package is a collection of Python modules and applications developed by the computer group of the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, University of Groningen, The Netherlands. The purpose of the package is to provide tools for the development of astronomical applications with Python. Currently I'm the only maintainer of this Python Package.
- Kapteyn Package home (M.G.R. Vogelaar, J.P. Terlouw)
- Tutorial WCS module, celestial and spectral coordinates
- Tutorial map utils module
- Tutorial Non Linear LSQ fitter kmpfit
- Tutorial tabarray, fast ASCII file reader
- Modeling objects in an image with a 2D Gauss function with a function to properly calculate initial estimates using a moments method to prepare an least squares fit with lmfit or kmpfit
Python tutorial for the FT-TXT interfacePython is a powerful tool for controlling interfaces. Data processing becomes more interesting if you can process your own data. Data measured with sensors can be read, processed and plotted with Python. I wrote a tutorial for the use of Python with a Fischertechnik interface.
The tutorial Controlling the Fischertechnik TXT interface with ftrobopy is a document with the focus on:
- Connections necessary to read sensors and connections to a PC.
- Programming the TXT with Python